Before we get into my thoughts on Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice
You have been warned….One more photo for you to change your mind and turn back. Spoilers will be kept to a minimum
Alright, you stayed. Awesome. So I saw Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice. Over all I think the negative reviews were wrong and I quite enjoyed the film. Henry Cavill was as good as Superman in this film as he was in Man of Steel. Gal Gadot killed it was Wonder Women and I cannot wait for her stand alone film. Jesse Eisenberg was better than I thought he would be as Lex Luthor, I went into the film thinking he would be awful and overall he gave a solid performance. I really wish there was more of Jeremy Irons as Alfred because he was the perfect casting for that role.
Now, onto Batfleck. When it was first announce that Ben Affleck was going to be Batman I was less then thrilled. All I could think of was his performance in Daredevil and I was worried. To read my thoughts click here. Now that I have seen the film, I take it all back. Ben Affleck killed it as Batman and as Bruce Wayne (yes they are two very different roles). He plays a Batman who has been fighting the criminal under world of Gotham for 20 years. He has seen the death of friends and family. He has seen his city destroyed. Frankly, he has seen some shit. He plays an older, battle torn Batman. However we never get the feeling that he has given up the fight, he just sees the bigger picture.
The film opens up with a rehash of the battle between Zod and Superman. This time we see it from Bruce Wayne’s point of view. After see the destruction and death caused by Superman, Bruce Wayne has decided that he is an enemy and must be stopped. After this we flash forward 18 months. Both Bruce Wayne and Lex Luthor are working, seperately, on ways to stop Superman. Meanwhile Clark Kent is struggling to figure out who he is as Superman.
So, why are they fighting?
Batman views Superman as a threat and an enemy so he wants to fight him to end him. Superman does not want to fight but is forced into the battle by Lex Luthor (I am leaving out the details to keep spoilers to a minimum). So they fight, then they realize who the real enemy is, Lex, and put there differences a side and go fight Doomsday. Oh and Wonder Woman shows up.
Ok so that sums up the trailer. Again I am trying to keep spoilers to a minimum.
What did I like:
- Ben Affleck as Batman
- Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman
- Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor
- Jeremy Irons as Alfred
- The cameos by The Flash, Cyborg and Aquaman (seriosuly Aquaman looks amazing and Flash uses the speed force for time travel and AAAHHHH cannot wait for Justice League)
- Easter Egg references to the DC Universe are always fun
What I didn’t like:
- The movie felt very rushed in certain points and lingered in the wrong points
- the love story between Lois Lane and Superman was over done and pointless
- Too many unnecessary subplots
- Doomsday, no seriously he looked like shit
- Having to watch the murder of Thomas and Martha Wayne AGAIN
- Flashback/dream scenes -These have always been done in Batman films however in the past films they were obvious these felt awkward and out of place.
- Absolutely ZERO character development for Wonder Woman. They never call her Wonder Women, they never call her Diana Prince. She is see a couple of times in the film with Bruce Wayne and the BOOM she is a warrior princess out of nowhere. Hopefully it was done purposely to great interest in the solo Wonder Woman film
My biggest issue of the film is this – From day one this has been billed as a Batman AND Superman film but in the end I got a Batman movie with Superman in it. However, instead of Batman villains we got a Justice League villain.
Over all I give the film a solid B+. It does its job of setting up Justice League films just fine. The ending sucked and was ambiguous and confusing. I look forward to what DC and Warner Bros will do with the DC Cinematic Universe. I left the theater tonight excited for what the future holds.